It's been a long time since I last read a book, for leisure. Been spending the whole night reading this classic novel by Saint-Exupéry, a french writer and aviator, and I'm sure everyone has heard of his The Little Prince.
I took my own sweet time to read, because this is really a great book. I have not finished reading the whole book yet, but as of the first nine chapters that I managed to cover, I think that the author succeeded in exposing the common problems that lie within every single adult, which are their ignorance and their narrow-minded perspective.
The first thing in the book that hit me the most is..
In chapter 4 of the book, a Turkish Astronomer discovered Asteroid B-612 and decided to present it to the International Astronomical Congress. None of the people who were present believed him, because he was dressed in his Turkish Traditional Costume at that point of time. Few years later, he dressed himself in the European Traditional Costume and did the same presentation again. This time round, he was overwhelmed by all the positive responses from the people who were present.
This got me thinking even harder while reading the book. I'm guilty and ashamed but I would not deny that I do see my own shadow in the book.
What an awesome way to make me do some soul-searching. This book can be a simple book for children, and adults should definitely read it too. Because from what I know, I only see the adults, be it parents and teachers or whoever, trying to teach the younger generations: to be appreciative and blahblah.
When..
Adults cannot appreciate the things that children do even though they were once children..
I took my own sweet time to read, because this is really a great book. I have not finished reading the whole book yet, but as of the first nine chapters that I managed to cover, I think that the author succeeded in exposing the common problems that lie within every single adult, which are their ignorance and their narrow-minded perspective.
The first thing in the book that hit me the most is..
In chapter 4 of the book, a Turkish Astronomer discovered Asteroid B-612 and decided to present it to the International Astronomical Congress. None of the people who were present believed him, because he was dressed in his Turkish Traditional Costume at that point of time. Few years later, he dressed himself in the European Traditional Costume and did the same presentation again. This time round, he was overwhelmed by all the positive responses from the people who were present.
This got me thinking even harder while reading the book. I'm guilty and ashamed but I would not deny that I do see my own shadow in the book.
What an awesome way to make me do some soul-searching. This book can be a simple book for children, and adults should definitely read it too. Because from what I know, I only see the adults, be it parents and teachers or whoever, trying to teach the younger generations: to be appreciative and blahblah.
When..
Adults cannot appreciate the things that children do even though they were once children..
No comments:
Post a Comment